Functional focus: The T cell process development team is concerned with the improvement and automation of Adaptimmune’s SPEAR™ T cell manufacturing process. Process development is assessed and evaluated through analysis of cell products, from various stages within the manufacturing process, by characterisation in phenotypical and functional assays. Process changes are then tech transferred to our global manufacturing teams.
The purpose of this role is to primarily design, conduct and analyse scientific experiments in the laboratory within a team setting. The Senior Scientist will coordinate and drive the progression of project work streams to support departmental objectives and company project objectives, within dedicated scientific or project teams.
The Senior Scientist will be relatively independent in the planning, conduct and analysis of their experiments. Initially under supervision by the project lead (group/departmental/functional Principal Scientist), the Senior Scientist will develop further scientific strategy and people leadership skills to be able to work more independently with more general oversight by the project lead.
This Senior Scientist role will require the supervision/mentorship of other junior scientists in a matrixed manner within the team, working closely with their line managers. There is a requirement of this Senior Scientist role to involve project work-stream leadership/management.
Performance in this role (including functional and project objectives and behaviours) will be monitored through group performance and stakeholder feedback from peers, senior management and project team members.
- In partnership with the Principal Scientist, designing and conducting experiments appropriate for the individual function and/or discipline to enable group and/or project objectives. (40%)
- Analyse, summarise, record and communicate experimental results. (35%)
- Active participation in group and project meetings and discussions. (10%)
- Supervision/mentorship of other junior scientists, and project work-stream leadership/management. (10%)
- Contribute to routine lab maintenance. (5%)
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree in Life Sciences, or related discipline.
- Substantial and relevant post-graduate experience within academic or industry setting in cell process development, preferably including an MSc or PhD in a relevant scientific area.
- Extensive experience of laboratory procedures.
- Substantial experience in aseptic cell culture, ideally large-scale and/or with primary human T cells.
- Practical experience in cell biology assays.
- Ability to learn and develop in order to work independently on complex experiments within a reasonable time frame.
- Scientific project and people leadership experience.
- An in depth understanding of the relevant scientific area (T cell biology and/or process development).
- GMP/GLP experience and/or tech transfer to GMP.
Skills & Competencies
- Ability to write and follow standard operating procedures and experiment plans.
- Knowledge and skills to use of standard laboratory equipment (such as pipettes, pH meters, centrifuges).
- Ability to design experiments and studies to address key scientific questions
- Advanced experimental design skills (use of controls, improvements, next steps).
- Advanced data analysis and interpretation skills, including attention to detail.
- Work-stream leadership and planning experience.
- Ability to write study plans and protocols.
- Very good time management skills.
- Strong team player, but with the ability to work independently as necessary.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Excellent numeracy and English language skills (both written and verbal).
- Computer literate and ability to familiarise with different IT systems.
- Familiarity with more specialist lab equipment e.g. flow cytometers, cell counting equipment, cell washing and concentration equipment, bioreactors.
- Ability to plan and progress studies in an efficient manner to achieve objectives in the context wider department objectives and company goals.
- Familiarity and interest in automating data analysis.
Decision Making Authority
Day-to-day management of individual experiments amongst other group projects, in partnership with other senior scientists (with input from Principal Scientist/scientific project coordinator).
Size and Scope of Team
No direct reports, will supervise individual or a small team of scientists in a matrix manner.
May help compile budgetary requirements.
Occasional travel for tech transfer purposes might be required.