This post is a central component of the Vector Downstream Processing (DSP) team, whose primary role is to design, test and generate robust and scalable lentiviral purification platforms to be used in the company’s manufacturing/CMO facilities.
Within the DSP team the primary purpose of this role is to conduct scientific experiments as required focusing on chromatography techniques and their application in live lentiviral purification. This will involve the application and optimisation of current technologies while investigating new and emerging platforms.
It is expected that the role holder will work independently on specific projects while contributing to the DSP team function. The post holder will also be responsible for the logging/management of their own data, interpretation of scientific results and presentation to the wider group/company.
The role will also involve training and completion of any supporting techniques (e.g. lentiviral stock production, supporting purification steps and completion of key decision assays).
As an innovation role, the post holder will also aid in scoping and testing of chromatography for lentiviral analytical techniques.
- Lab-based: Technical input into the Downstream Vector chromatography function, including the research and test application of new chromatography formats for purification – 60%
- Lab-based: Support to wider DSP team activities- including training and development in associated purification stages - 20%
- Provide technical support in transferring new vector processes from PD into manufacturing and aid in any GMP manufacture reach-back in chromatography technical area – 10%
- Group data management and training – 10%
- This position has no direct reports in first instance, may change upon business needs
Travel to CMOs may be required during tech transfer, this will likely be within different UK sites for senior level position
Qualifications & Experience
- BSc or higher qualification in relevant area (Life-science, bioengineering, biotechnology).
- Experience with PD or GMP bioprocessing of viral vectors would be an advantage.
- Experience in adapting current technology platforms form new processes or investigating emerging technologies.
- Evidence of the use/application of Design of Experiment approach in work practice.
- Filtration (Normal Flow and Tangential Flow)
- Knowledge of and experience with chromatography equipment (AKTA pure; AKTA Avant; AKTA Ready)
- Impurity clearance, DNA reduction steps
- Buffer formulation/testing
- Knowledge of viral vector production, tangential flow filtration and ELISA techniques.
- PhD or higher qualification in-lieu of industry based experience.
- Interfacing with external Contract Manufacturing Organisations or suppliers for senior level position
- Deep and extensive industrial experience with bioprocess GMP manufacturing and/or development in the gene therapy, vaccine and/or biopharmaceutical fields will be required for senior level position
Skills & Competencies
- The role requires technical excellence and the post holder should have attention to details, be a planner of work strands to maximise data use, but willing to adapt to a changing work schedule if required.
- The post holder must be a good team player, engaging with both the immediate DSP team and as required manufacturing teams to support. As an innovator in applying new technologies the post holder will also need to engage with external parties/company reps to maximise impact.
- The individual needs to be enthusiastic with a positive can-do attitude.