This role will partner with our Research function to identify, plan, and implement sustainable fit-for-purpose IT capabilities, and deliver a high level of reliability and responsiveness in daily IT operations. Scope includes current and future IT capabilities including but not limited to internal and external systems, solutions, platforms, applications, data management, integrations, process, services and procedures. Key responsibilities include:
- Build and own strong working relationships with Research function line managers, and influence the overall direction of capabilities in alignment with IT architecture, IT vision and Research needs
- Balance immediate needs and long range objectives of Research function to create IT roadmap in alignment with Sr. Leaders, IT Management, Steer Committee(s) and investment plans
- Plan, build and run of all IT solutions and services in scope
- Sort-out complex needs, and put forth plan of action that starts small, and grows fast
- Put forth foundational, industry specific and innovative IT solutions to deliver on approved roadmap
- Author requirements, use cases, process flow documents with business stakeholders, translates those requirements into IT project plans, and execute on those plans through rollout and operations
- Drive quality and scalability in IT business systems, and ensure efficient and effective operational IT processes that adapt to the dynamics of the business
- Ensure all IT services meet expectations and align to best practices in IT architecture, IT security, GxP compliance, and IT production operations. Own related IT SOP, process and procedures.
- Execute project management methodology to deliver new solutions and system enhancements
- Enable the business to achieve their objectives through the effective use of technology
For new systems implementation, execute the IT software development life-cycle including business case, solution evaluation and selection, requirements authoring, business process and data mapping, technical requirement documentation, out-of-the-box systems configuration, overall implementation and related integrations, testing, user training, and production roll-out. As IT owner of established systems, ensure such systems are fit-for-purpose for our business processes, and serve as main point of contact for escalation of any system issues, and system enhancements.
This is a hands on role expected to balance Business Relationship Management, IT architecture, staff supervision, project management, IT operations, and new solution implementations. Work on complex and abstract problems independently where decisions are based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, judgment and rigorous logic and methods.
Travel to the US may be required.
- Business Partnering and Solutioning (40%) - Establish effective Business and IT partnerships to understand business drivers and future direction, and aid in setting strategy and priorities. Responsible for understanding business problem to be solved, the end-to-end business processes, dataflow and conditions. Use process improvement methods to optimize business processes using best practices. Put forth IT solutions that address Business needs and align toward overall IT strategies.
- IT Delivery (20%) – Implement and enhance IT capabilities (on premise and cloud) and related business processes, and ensure high quality solutions are aligned with business and IT strategies. Define, plan, and direct the delivery of a diverse set of technologies. Balance the competing demands of scope, time, cost, quality, resources, and risk. Direct assigned IT resources in project delivery. Pilot new solutions to determine fit-for-purpose. Own change management to successfully embed new solutions
- IT Operations (20%) – Own and provide hands-on IT operational support (technology, out-of-the-box configurations, process and content) for installed solutions. Responsible for maintenance of systems documentation, and adherence to IT Policies, SOPs, compliance standards, GxP requirements (where applicable) and change controls. Provide technical consulting and perform user training with Business System Owner as needed. Direct assigned IT resources in execution of daily operations.
- IT Staff Management (20%) – Supervise assigned IT staff in delivery of new IT solutions, and execution of daily IT operations to support Research function. Grow and mentor a team of IT professionals.
- Other duties as assigned by IT management in support of rapidly growing company.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/Information Systems related or equivalent experience
- Extensive IT Management experience in customer facing IT role supporting Biotechnology or Pharmaceutical Research and Development function, and experience in related packaged applications, systems, business process and IT process.
- Extensive hands on experience with GxP and regulated systems, including execution of IT computer systems validation deliverables and process
- Extensive experience managing and leading IT staff in applications, custom development, data management, integrations and related solutions
- Extensive experience in hands-on shaping technical solutions and business processes with business and technical staff – must be equally at ease and proficient across platforms, infrastructure, applications, custom development, integrations and data analytics
- Demonstrated experience in IT business analysis, IT SDLC, change control, systems implementation, enhancement and operations, and project management methodologies
- Proven ability to manage multiple, complex projects simultaneously while owning IT operations
- Strong influencing ability, and exposure to change management tools and techniques
- Strong cross-functional leadership, project management and business acumen.
- Ability to see the big picture
- Previous experience in any or all of these Research oriented technology solutions: Scientific Data Management System (SDMS), Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), Electronic Laboratory Notebooks (eLN), Sample Management.
- Technical experience (administration, configuration, meta-data management, etc.) with any or all of these manufacturing oriented GMP solutions: MES, environmental controls (BMS), GMP equipment maintenance and inventory management
- High energy, confident, gets things done, yet easy going personality
- MBA or advanced degree
- IT Security for software and applications
- Experience with rapidly growing academically oriented early phase biotech company a plus
- Ability to wear multiple hats, and sort-out complex business problems with ease
- Experience with high volume complex scientific data analytics
- IT experience supporting advanced research protein based laboratories
- IT experience with aseptic processing manufacturing a plus
Skills & Compentencies
- Highly energetic, passionate champion for the business and an ability to quickly establish credibility
- Strong project planning, timeline management, customer facing, resource planning, and vendor management skills.
- Strong ability to identify/anticipate opportunities, problems and road blocks, maintains a solution focused approach and develops plans accordingly.
- Ability to bring people together and communicate technical language in a non-technical manner.
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups about their needs, identify essential requirements and implement solutions.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience creating project deliverables (business requirements, functional requirements, process maps, test plans, and test scripts).
- Ability to interact effectively as individual contributor or as a member of a team.
- Able to work in a fast paced deadline driven environment.
- Meet deadlines and deliver quality work, even under pressure.
- Mentor, coach, and direct IT staff
- Strong understanding of biotech research function, which includes their business drivers for success, processes and procedures
Decision Making Authority
Using good judgement, wisdom and experience to interface with internal business leaders, deliver new systems implementation on time and on budget, while running daily operations in support of business processes.